Mid-Northeast Mission Districtof the NALC
500th Anniversary of the Reformation
Many events are planned throughout our NALC Mission District during this anniversary year.
- As we continue to mark the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, we are announcing a Lutheran Hymn Festival scheduled for April 29 at 7 PM in the Heinz Chapel, Pittsburgh, PA.
- At Paul’s Lutheran in Sarver, PA the old church building has now been torn down to build a new sanctuary on the same site. Congratulations Pastor Shawn Smith and Congregation as you grow to serve the Church and community.
- Our prayers continue to be with Pastor Carl Hendrickson as he deals with health concerns; our prayers and Christ’s healing.
- Welcome Pastor Warren Smith and his wife Sara who join us in the Mid-Northeast Mission District. Following certification interview and approval Pastor Smith has been received in admittance to the NALC clergy roster as a pastor of our Mission District.. Pastor Smith retired this June as pastor of St. John’s Lutheran in McKeesport, PA. Pastor Warren and Sara Smith reside at 3400 Daniel Lane Apt 303 in Monroeville, PA.
- Welcome to Vicar Matthew Vatalare who begins a year of internship at Christ Rupp Lutheran in Kittanning. Vicar Matt is a member of our congregation, St. Timothy in Charleston, WV.
- Welcome to Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Letart, West Virginia! Zion Lutheran is now a congregation of the Mid-Northeast Mission District. We are looking forward to getting to know you and are glad to have you with us. (Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church C/O Nancy Kearns, 5558 Graham Station Road, Letart, WV 25253 Contact Treasurer Nancy Kearns – 304-882-3686)
- The 6th annual Mid-Northeast Mission District Clergy Retreat is scheduled for June 7-8 at our North American Lutheran Seminary (NALS) housed at Trinity School for Ministry in Ambridge, PA. This year's theme is "Being Human in a Posthuman Age: The Promise of Christian Anthropology". The mission district will once again sponsor the registration fee for our rostered pastors and rostered lay ministers. Registration will be through the mission district office, but registration is not yet open.
- "In Tents" Summer camp is scheduled for July 23-27. More information will be forthcoming.
- Nile Lutheran Church in Rochester, NY will soon be able to use their building around April 22 for church services. Some minor repairs are being completed and the city will conduct a re-inspection on April 16. A rough estimate of this work is $2200. If you would like to assist them with these expenses, send your check to Nile Lutheran Church, Pastor Ntaombaye Nestory, 804 Merchants Road, Rochester, NY 14609. Please keep Nile in your prayers as they near the end of this long journey to have a place of their own for worship and ministry.
- For those looking for a good adult Reformation DVD series about the meaning of the Reformation and our identity as Lutherans today, I highly recommend a two part study series: “A Man Named Martin” by Lutheran Hour Ministries – Part 1:“The Man,” five sessions; and Part 2: “The Moment,” three sessions. Questions follow each session in the leaders material. The Lutheran hour series has some depth, but is not over the heads of laity and most sessions are interesting as well. The series has been well attended at St. Mark’s this summer and I have been impressed. (Available on Amazon or at Christian Books, among other venders.) …Also Rick Steves’, “Luther and the Reformation, one-hour public television special commemorating the 500 anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, a one hour presentation available also on DVD. This one presents everything from a more general protestant perspective and doesn’t help form our self-identity today as much as the Lutheran Hour series in my opinion but is worth viewing as well.
- Bible Bowl is scheduled for April 15, 2018 at IN-TENTS CAMP SITE, St Thomas Church Grove, 1341 Ridge Road, Hooversville, PA 15936. Registration is at 3:00 – 3:30 pm. Bible Bowl is from 3:30 – 6:30 pm. Bible Book for Competition: Gospel of Luke (ESV). Registration deadline is March 26.
- Please welcome and congratulate Rev. Susan Fox, who was installed as pastor at First Lutheran Church, 331 South Street, Ridgway, PA on Sunday, March 18.
- Women's Spring Gathering will be Saturdary, April 21 at Salem Lutheran Church, Smicksburg, PA.Please see Women's web site page for more details)
- Ladies Encounter Spring Event featuring: Mary Southerland is Saturday, April 14 at
10 AM -3 PM at the Blair County Convention Center in Altoona, PA. (Please see Women's web site page for more details.
- NALC National Convention is scheduled for August 11-13 in Denver, Co. Go to www.theNALC.org to register or find a hotel.